Saturday, December 25, 2010

Devilishly Good Chocolate Cake

Full disclosure - the picture is not of my cake.  I guess if I am going to do this right, I better take a picture first, huh?  I found this picture online and it's as close as I could come to looking like my cake.

The "Devilishly Good Chocolate Cake" recipe is on page 202 of the original book (the author has several more books out.)  It starts with a devil's food cake mix and adds unsweetened baking chocolate, pudding, buttermilk and more vanilla and is topped with "Chocolate Pan Frosting" - the recipe found on page 429.

Awesome - I picked a very good one to start with.  The cake was super moist but not "soggy" or underdone.  Just moist!!  And decadently chocolately.  The Chocolate Pan Frosting (unlike what's in the picture) completely covered the outside of the cake and tasted like a layer of home made Christmas fudge had been added to the outside of the cake - rich and delicious.  As I said in my introductory blog, the cake was more than half gone in the hour we were there - I moved the remainder to one of my sister-in-laws plates so I could leave the cake, but take home my cake carrier - all ready for the next cake!

The only "gotcha" I experienced was putting the frosting on the caked - since it is a cooked frosting and you put it on while it's still warm, it's suppose to just kind of be poured on - but work quickly as it "sets" (sort of) as it pours out of the pan.  3/4ths of my cake looked beautiful with the frosting thick but smooth - the other 1/4th I had to kind of spread the frosting on so it looked more like spread frosting, with all the imperfections that includes - still not bad, and no one really  noticed - after all we are pretty much programmed that is how cake frosting looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment