Sunday, December 26, 2010

"Mom's Layer cake....."

Page 106 - "Mom's Layer Cake with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting"  is cake #2 - and in my opinion it is the frosting that makes this cake.  But then I have never been a huge fan of white cake - too plain.  If you are a fan of white cake, you will no doubt love this one - the texture is incredibly fine - while not exceptionally moist, it is not at all dry either - just very nice.  And the added vanilla extract does give it a better overall taste compared to the normal white cake that I have had in the past that always failed to impress me.  In addition to the extra vanilla extract, in place of the oil generally called for in box car mixes, this recipes instructs to add melted butter - I did use real butter and not margarine.  And whole milk is specified (at the beginning of the book we learn we can use any kind of milk unless the recipe specifically instructs to use a particular type of milk - in this case - whole milk.)

But the frosting - oh the frosting.  I never understood the fondness to homemade "buttercream frosting".  Quite frankly all my previous attempts at homemade frosting fell far short of any ready made frosting I had ever purchased.  But if this recipe for "Fluffy Chocolate Frosting" (page 426) is a "butter cream" frosting or anything like the buttercream frostings I keep hearing being raved about, I certainly understand now.  It was incredibly good - the butter and the cocoa gave the frosting such a rich chocolate flavor that just completed the cake perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment