Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Friendship Cake

I didn't bake three cakes all in one day - I am just catching up on posting these notes.  I didn't know what to expect out of the Friendship Cake (page 179) - Like it's name sake, the Friendship Bread, you start with a "starter" recipe and "tend" it daily - this one, though, only 5 days.  But it's still strange to me to leave food fermenting on the counter top.  And, I goofed, though the finished product didn't suffer any - see, I started the starter, then took my cook book to work one day - to share that Hornet's Nest recipe with the three ladies who were asking for it.  I forgot to bring the cook book home - for three days.   Doh! - So, I'm trying to remember what ingredients to add in what amounts on what days - I didn't do too bad - here were my mistakes.

Day 3 was suppose to add the raisins.  I didn't but on day 4 I added the raisins and the dried apricots - which were suppose to be added on day 4.    Day 5 was suppose to add 15 oz can of crushed pineapple - I added an 8 oz can.  (Do you know I couldn't find a 15 oz can of pineapple in the grocery?  I found 8 oz and 20 oz - bought one of each - didn't intend to use the 8 oz in this recipe, but like I said, on day 5 my cook book was still at the office so I just dumped the 8 oz in since I didn't really remember what I was suppose to use.)

I baked the cake yesterday and took it into work this morning - it was pretty good - nice and moist, I would have like a little more fruit taste, but I thought the brown sugar, butter, and pecan topping was very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment