Monday, January 21, 2013

Double-Chocolate Chewies --- Almost!

Getting cold here in the mid-west. A good day to stay in. Only it's been too long between recipes. But I don't have a big variety of ingredients. I do have four different cake mixes - devils food, white, orange, and lemon. Surely there's something in this book I have all the ingredients for......

So, I sat down and started front to back - I was going to make the first recipe I came to that I already had all the ingredients for and hadn't yet made. I got all the way to page 334, but finally found it - "Double-Chocolate Chewies" - a drop cookie. I need a devils food cake mix, an egg, butter, water, pecan, and chocolate chips. Got it, got it, yep, water's still flowing, hmmm, plenty of PEO pecans around as usual, and I always have chocolate chips.

Or do I? Got the cake mix, water, butter and egg all mixed up only to find I was out of chocolate chips. Isn't rule one get out all the ingredients before starting? Heed this rule! Don't follow my fate!

Except sometimes it turns out pretty good. I found a bag of Heath chocolate toffee pieces. So I dropped not only the chocolate chips, but also the pecans and instead stirred in the entire bag of Heath pieces which was about equal to the chips and nuts combined.

The cookies taste great! The recipe says makes 42 two inch cookies. I always make my cookies bigger than that - so I got not quite three dozen - 34. The recipe claims " with the chewiness of a brownie and the crunch of a cookie,..." They are ever so slightly crunchy around the edges - not at all hard, just a nice little snap. The centers are soft with out being overly moist or gooey.

I found the recipe On a website called The Family Cookbook Project. They credit the book, so I'm comfortable linking to it for you- just remember, my edits ;)

http://www.familycookbookproject.com/view_recipesite.asp?rid=156848&uid=3245&sid=7210

No comments:

Post a Comment