Monday, January 7, 2013

Orange cupcakes

This is one of those times when I cross over into one of Anne's other books. The Fresh Orange Birthday cake is on page 37 of The Cake Mix Doctor Returns and the Orange Cream Cheese frosting on page 474.

This past Saturday I hosted a baby shower for my daughter. We decided on a Cake Boss cake from our local Kroger store instead of the traditional and flavorless white cake with baby shower decoration. My daughter was thrilled at the choice. But that had a layer of chocolate cake and fudge between the layers, so I wanted an alternative for anyone who doesn't care for chocolate - sounds weird to me, but I knew of at least one guest with that peculiarity. So I selected the orange cake and decided to make them cupcakes which I displayed circling the Cake Boss cake.

My young niece liked them, eating every last bite. I found, as I have come to expect from these recipes, the cupcake nearly perfect in texture, moist, and pleasant in flavor. I was surprised, perhaps pleasantly so, that the flavor was not as intensely orange as I had expected. I liked the subtle orange flavor. The cream cheese frosting was complimentary, even refreshing. (But then I have always been "mad" about cream cheese frosting, a perfect compliment to nearly any cake, in my opinion.)

The picture is from the Cake Mix Doctor website - I tinted my frosting orange, which I thought was appropriate .


No comments:

Post a Comment