Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tennessee Jam Cake

I just attempted the Tennesse Jam Cake (page 116) and anyone who can make this cake look anything like the book cake has me beat hands down! The recipe calls for 2/3 cup of blackberry jam on top of the first layer of cake, follow that up by spreading warm caramel frosting right on top of the jam! What? Wouldn't that melt the jam? OH YEAH!! As soon as that warm caramel frosting touched the jam, things just started moving. Place that top layer on top of that and there's no chance those layers aren't sliding around!! Forget spreading any frosting on the side of the cake! I tried- the first swipe and -- " forget about it". I just poured the warm caramel frosting on top and let it go where it would. Then I carefully tried to get it all in the refrigerator where I hope it'll somehow "set up" and stop sliding around. The last thing I saw as I closed the door on the whole mess was globs of jam falling down the side. My only hope if the taste far exceeds the presentation! I might just try writing the author on this one and ask where it all might have gone wrong.

 - - It was a well received cake - many comments and compliments. I found the frosting to be delicous, if a little over powering.  I understand the need to add the extra cinnamon to the cake mix - it probably could have used a little more - I thought the cake lacked a little flavor.  However others mentioned they thought it was just right.   The jam was just tart enough to off set the sweet frosting a bit and everyone agreed that the combination was delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment