Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cake

I think the name of this cake, "Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cake" (page 50) is misleading.  My father said he couldn't even taste cherries.  Mom said she thought she could but agreed it wasn't much.  I too thought maybe if I had a bite without the frosting I could just make out the cherry flavor. My husband said it reminded him of the coca-cola cake he remembered from years ago and I agree - for as much as I can remember that coca-cola cake.  What I recall about a coca-cola cake is the texture - I think this is similar.  I'm not sure how to describe that texture.

Despite the misleading name, it was a tasty cake - a super moist cake.  The cherry pie filling takes the place of the oil, so it's also a bit lower in fat - that ought to be worth something, right?  This I imagine is why the cake has the texture it has.  The instructions are to bake this is a 9X13 pan.  A wise move as a cake of this texture wouldn't stack very well.

The frosting, made with sugar, whole milk, butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips, is wonderfully sweet and chocolately.  I said it reminded me of the times when mom would make what we lovingly called "spoon" fudge (homemade fudge that never set up and so had to be eaten with a spoon).   Rich, so a little goes a long way.  Another reason a 9x13 pan is a better choice.

1 comment: