Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mom's Chocolate Syrup Cake

This morning I am making the "Mom's Chocolate Syrup Cake" (page 264).  This appears in the coffee cake chapter of the book so I'm comfortable taking this in for an early morning treat.  I just pulled it out of the oven and it rose so high it's a good inch to inch and a half above the bundt pan.  The recipe says to bake it in a tube pan, but mine is either in the basement in the nether world of boxes or was lost in one of our many moves.  So, I opted for the bundt pan.  I'm a little concerned about two things on this one - at $1.99 a box for Duncan Hines (the only brand I can find locally that doesn't have pudding in the mix), I opted to try the store brand at 89 cents a box.  I wasn't impressed after the first minute of mixing - the batter seemed a bit grainy.  But after the 2 minute beating, it looked pretty close to what I was use to with the Duncan Hines mixes.  The second thing that gives me a slight concern is I think I smell something burned - but the cake doesn't look at all over baked.  The recipe cautions to kep the chocolate syrup off the sides of the pan (inside) - and considering how high the cake rose, I a little syrup spilled over into the oven.  A few more minutes of cooling and we will have our answer.

This was really delicious - the chocolate flavor was clear through out every bite.    Great with my morning cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment